The architecture is Dravidian. The entrance porch features large stone pillars, which support a roof of huge stone slabs. Within the vihara, an ancient stone and plaster image of the Buddha looks down upon milk rice pots that have collected food offerings for centuries. The 638-year-Old jack wood doors still exhibit their original paintings.
The Gadaladeniya temple
The Gadaladeniya temple is situated at Pilimatalawa on the Kandy-Colombo Road is built almost exclusively out of stone in 1344 by the Gampola King Wickramabahu, situated on a hilltop, commanding views of the surrounding countryside.