Over the years it was reduced in size. Its is a protected lake, with fishing banned. There are many legends and folklore regarding the lake. One such is that the small island at its center was used by the Kings helm for bathing and was connected to the palace by secret tunnel.
This is a lake in the heart of the hill city of Kandy, built in 1807 by King Sri Vikrama Rajasinha of Sri Lanka next to the Temple of the Tooth